Tashjian, J. (2010). My
life as a book. (Tashjian, J. illus.). Christy Ottaviano Books. 244 pages.
ISBN 9780805089035
Primary genre:
realistic fiction
Other elements:
family, friendship, humor, adventure
Intended reader age:
9 and up
Synopsis:
Derek Fallon does not like to read and he especially does
not like that teachers, librarians, and his parents keep trying to force him to
read things that do not interest him. Summer is just a few days away and he
already has begun planning all kinds of adventures. But all of those plans are
put on hold when his teacher assigns a reading list, his friend goes on
vacation, and his parents enroll him in Learning Camp. It is the discovery of a
family secret, one that has been hidden from him for 10 years, that changes Derek’s
opinion of this summer. He is determined to learn everything he can about this
secret no matter what.
Review:
I definitely enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.
I was initially annoyed and very surprised with the actions of the main
character. (Apparently one of his favorite ways to annoy his parents involves
climbing on the roof to hit the satellite dish so the signal goes out!) But I
think I went in reading it as too much of an adult. When I actually put aside
those thoughts and just read to immerse myself I enjoyed it a great deal. Derek
is a kid who knows where the line is and exactly how far he can push it.
I liked the illustrations and how the author used them. They
follow a style similar to Wimpy Kid with
very basic, stick figures through out. One of the tactics Derek’s teacher
employed to interest him in reading was assigning him to illustrate the words
he did not know from his reading. So through the book, the illustrations in the
margins are words that Derek illustrates for his assignment. The author choose
words that young readers might struggle with like monumental, canister, fidget,
etc. This is great for all types of readers including visual learners and even
reluctant readers are likely to enjoy this story. The protagonist hates reading
(he refers to his reading tutor as ‘a nice woman named SATAN!’) and he doesn’t
really get a lot of ‘reading’ done through the story. The definition of reading
that the adults hold in the story is reading from traditional forms of
literature. Derek will read, he particularly enjoys comics like Calvin and
Hobbs, but the adults in his life do not see that as actual reading. I think
this is something many young readers encounter. Their idea of reading (be it
comics, magazines, or online) are not viewed as appropriate by adults and they
are steered towards things that do not interest them.
There is another book in the series, My Life as a Stuntboy, and a third, My Life as a Cartoonist, is scheduled for release at the end of
April.
![]() |
| The new cover for the paperback release. |

No comments:
Post a Comment