Roth, J. (Producer). Raimi, S. (Director). (2013). Oz the great and powerful. [Motion
picture]. United States: Roth Films. 130 minutes
Primary genre:
Fantasy
Other elements:
friendship, loss, politics, adventure
Rated: PG
Synopsis:
Oscar (Oz) Diggs, a magician in a small-time traveling
circus, is certain that there are opportunities out there for him become a
great man. When a storm hits the Kansas location he is finishing up at he is
caught in a tornado that transports him to another world entirely, the Land of
Oz. His appearance and name set off a series of events that leave him mistaken
for the great magician this world has been waiting for. Political unrest plagues
this world and it will be up to Oz to decide which side is telling the truth
and to help them set things to right.
Review:
To my understanding, Frank L. Baum never wrote a prequel for
his Oz series. I am a SciFi reader and with any series in that genre there is a
great chance there will be a prequel story so I have just come to expect it for
the most part. I always enjoy getting a look at the back-story, finding out
what made certain characters turn out the way they did.
Oz the Great and
Powerful does give me that look at the characters I grew up reading about
and watching on TV. I tried to stay away from reviews before I went to see the
movie. I always like to go in with an open mind and just (hopefully) enjoy the
experience. I did just happen to come across one descriptor of the story line
that gave me an indication of the way the story was going to progress. At first
I was confused as to why they made Oz a womanizer, but once I was in the
theater watching the progression it became very clear. His actions are never
shown past kissing, which allows this movie to stay in the PG range. But, there
are references to past and present interactions, which keeps it interesting for
older viewers who are able to make that connection.
I thought it was great that they used the same actors from
his real life to populate the Land of Oz. These were the people that Oz had
failed in the real world and now he was given the chance to redeem himself and
prove that he was the great man he talked about being.
I am not certain of the interest younger
generations have in the Wizard of Oz
movie that inspired this prequel. But, this was definitely created with younger
generations interests in mind. They poke fun at the singing that occurred in
the first one, increased the amount of action and destruction, and present characters
that have a modern feel to them. But there are also elements in the movie that
can only be caught by those who have watched the original film that inspired
this one. 
No comments:
Post a Comment