Creech, S. (1994). Walk
two moons. Joanna Cotler Books. 304 pages. ISBN 9780060560133
Primary genre:
realistic fiction
Other elements:
family, loss, friendship, humor,
Intended reader age:
8 and up
Synopsis:
Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle (just Sal to
everyone but Gran) embarks on a journey from Ohio to Idaho with her eccentric
grandparents, following in the footsteps of her missing mother. Along the way,
Sal recounts the story of her new friend, Phoebe Winterbottom. It is through
the telling of Phoebe’s story that Sal is finally able to come to terms with
her own story.
Review:
I want to start off by talking about the copy that I own of
this book. I bought it used and I believe it was at the local used Downtowne Books,
I could be wrong though. So, the former owner made notations, which look like
they were meant for a class. There are notes like ‘dialogue’ and
‘foreshadowing.’ But the notes are only located in the first half of the book,
so either they never finished reading or like me became too caught up in the
story to stop reading for even a second to make another notation. This is
usually what happens to me with stories. I spend the first couple of chapters
engaging in that higher order reading: highlighting interesting sentences and
writing questions and notes in the margins. Usually, halfway through a story
though all this stops because by then I am invested in the story and want to
find out what happens next.
I think I loved the grandparents most of all in this story.
They had such an adorable dynamic, and gave Sal such a great relationship to
look up to. Not that her parents did not offer that as well. I think after she
came to accept that her mother really was gone, she was able to see really
offer readers a look at their relationship. The grandparents just had really
great quirks. Grams didn’t flinch when the snake bit her, she said “Huzzah
Huzzah” to things that excited her, and she kept Gramps on his toes. Just
adorable.
The Mrs. Corpse dynamic had an interesting twist. I think
that portion of the story did a great deal to instill in readers that things
are not always what they appear. Because Sal was so against hearing about the
way that her father met Mrs. Corpse we, as the readers, side with her
assumptions and reluctance to hear anything about her as well. We are united in
Sal’s thoughts of “how could he” and “so soon after Sal’s mother left.”
Creech has a number of other books and after reading this I
would like to check out those other ones. Outside of this one my eye has always
been drawn to The Wanderer as well as
Absolutely Normal Chaos.



No comments:
Post a Comment