Valente, C. M. (2011). The
girl who circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of her own making. (Juan, A.
illus.). Square Fish. 288 pages. ISBN 9781250010193
Primary genre:
fantasy
Other elements:
adventure, mystery, friendship, family, coming of age
Intended reader age:
10 and up
Synopsis:
September is quite bored an unhappy with her life in Omaha so
when the Green Wind comes along and offers her the opportunity to have an
adventure in Fairyland, she jumps at the chance without the slightest bit of
hesitation. But, Fairyland is not all that September hoped or expected. The
land has been taken over by the Marquess and it has fallen September to find a
way to remove her. While traveling though Fairyland September makes friends
with a Wyverary named Ell and a Marid named Saturday. But, removing the
Marquess does not go smoothly and September finds herself in the position of
performing an errand for the Marquess or losing her friends.
Review:
I liked that I was able to see where
Valente pulled much of her inspiration from. There were so many elements in
this story that had me thinking of classic children’s literature: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, The Wizard
of Oz, Peter Pan, the Narnia
series, etc. But, the way the author included these elements did not leave me
with the feeling that she was just rewriting those stories. Her ideas and
concepts were very original. The amount of world building she did was just
fantastic; I always appreciate an author who puts thought into the rules of
their world. The nonsensical nature did not overpower the story; it made it
more fun and unpredictable.
The inclusions of the narrator
moments were a nice addition. There were times where the narrator would ‘step
in’ and give the readers background information or tell of another aspect that
was occurring in the world. At times these did remind me of the narrator from
The Series of Unfortunate Events. But, this could have been just because I do
not encounter this tactic too often in the stories I read.
There are two things that I greatly enjoyed
about this story: the ending and the language. The ending was fantastic because
of how it made me re-think some of those classic tales I greatly enjoy. It’s
not something I can really go into here, because I do not want to ruin the
story. Spoilers. But, it was definitely one of those moments where I had to
stop and think about how sad it really must be. Too often when we hit that
point in a story it is the ending so authors tie everything up in a nice little,
happy bow. The language though, my goodness, Valente surely knows how to put
together a sentence: “Those were all big words, to be sure, but as has been
said, September read often, and liked it best when words did not pretend to be
simple, but put on their full armor and rode out with the colors flying” (p.
51). There is now a second book, The Girl
Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, which continues the
story of September and her adventures in Fairyland.![]() |
| Just one of the gorgeous illustrations from the story. |


No comments:
Post a Comment