Hahn, M. D. (1986). Wait
till Helen comes. Clarion Books. 184 pages. ISBN 0899194532
Primary genre:
horror
Other elements:
family, friendship, loss, adventure, mystery, suspense
Intended reader age:
7 and up
Synopsis:
Molly, Michael, and Heather are not getting along as well as
their parents had hoped when they married. They become especially unhappy when
their parents decide the best course of action is to move them far from all
their friends and everything they know. But their mother and Dave, their new
stepfather, have decided that this is the best course to bring the entire
family together. Heather has always been withdrawn, considering the way in
which she lost her mother, but the move sets her farther apart from everyone.
She has made a new friend, one who promises to make everything better, who just
happens to be a ghost.
Review:
I cannot recall ever reading this book when I was younger.
I was absolutely into the whole ‘horror’ genre (huge fan of Goosebumps and then later Fear Street) but I think I just missed
all the Hahn books.
I can definitely see where the thrills would come in for kids;
there was a great deal of build up to the introduction of Helen. First we learn
of the graveyard, then we find the hidden grave, then Heather keeps
disappearing and talking to someone, and on. I think much of the horror and
thrill of this book comes from the perspective that Molly gives. Everyone around
her did not believe in the prospect of ghosts, but she continued in her belief.
Hahn did a fantastic job of portraying those feelings that we have all
experienced when we get scared.
There were moments where I became a little annoyed with
Molly. Just as her family felt, I felt she was a bit too much of a chicken at times. I did like that she fessed up to it. She was honest with herself and
admitted that tendency. But, she also stuck with her conviction that this tendency
had nothing to do with what was occurring with Heather.
After reading this I am interested in reading
more of Hahn’s books. All the Lovely Bad
Ones and The Old Willis Place
have always appealed to me just as much as Wait
Till Helen Comes has. 


No comments:
Post a Comment