^ ^ ^
The US cover The UK hardcover and UK paperback
Hardy, J. (2010). The
shifter: The healing wars books I. Balzer + Bray. (Original work published
2009). 370 pages. ISBN 9780061747083
Genre: fantasy
Other elements:
adventure, coming of age, importance of family
Intended reader age:
10 and up
Synopsis:
In Nya and Tali’s world Takers are revered for their gift
and trained, if possible, to become Healers. Both Nya and Tali are very gifted
Takers able to Heal and take the pain away, but Nya’s ability is flawed. She
cannot shift the pain into pynvium like true Healers can, only into other
people. She keeps this ability hidden because the Governor-General is starting
another war and Takers are disappearing again, just like Nya’s parents did
before the end of the last war. When Tali goes missing as well, Nya’s choice to
remain hidden is taken from her because she will stop at nothing to get her
sister back.
Review:
I was absolutely intrigued with the premise of this story
when I first came across it and enjoyed it just as much the second time around
as I did the first.
I appreciated Nya as a main character and I found her
struggles to be very well done. Nya’s life has been completely torn apart by
the war, a war that is still going on in other parts of the world and is promising
continued destruction. She and her sister lost everything in the war: their
parents, their home, and their possessions. Nya has to contend with trying to find
work of any kind on a day-to-day basis, struggling along side other refuges of
the war, and often resorts to petty thievery to survive. Her struggles go
farther than that though. Her mother’s reaction to her Shifting ability when it
first manifested, and the knowledge that the government is always looking for
people like her, has influenced her to not use that ability. Then when
circumstances force her hand she does not lightly begin using her powers. Each
time she has to shift pain there is an internal debate and in the end Nya
always sees it as a weapon more than anything else.
Her friends end up giving an external output to the debate
she has had ranging through her head the entire time. Danello voices the
advantages for when they have to fight, Aylin points out the underlying horror,
and Tali continues to point out the good and how she can help her sister do
good. They can all see the point the others are making but stick to their
initial thoughts.
I also appreciated the map supplied at the beginning of the
story. There were quite a few instances where the characters ran from one part
of town to the next and then off in a whole new direction, and I had trouble
keeping locations placed in my mind.
I think The
Shifter does a great job of introducing readers to the characters and the
world that the series encompasses. The politics of the world are briefly
covered without being too over powering. The other two books, Blue Fire and Darkfall, do delve deeper into the politics surrounding the war and
the inhabitants of the world because the characters become more involved in the
underlying problems.



No comments:
Post a Comment