Pearson, Ridley. (2005). The
Kingdom Keepers. Disney Editions. 325 pages. ISBN 0786853338
Primary genre:
fantasy
Other elements:
science fiction, mystery, adventure, friendship, family
Intended reader age:
10 and up
Synopsis:
The fantasy of having the run of a Disney park after
everyone else has left for the day has filtered through many a young (and not
so young) person’s mind. But, for 5 middle school kids in in the heart of
Orlando, FL this dream is quickly becoming a reality and it is not at all what
every thinks it would be. Finn Whitman and four others were lucky enough to be
selected for an all-new experience being placed in the Walt Disney World; they
were chosen to become DHI’s, Disney Host Interactive also known as Digital
Hologram Imaging. But now when they go to sleep at night they wake up back in
the park as their holographic counter-part. The fight between good and evil is
just as real as the stories make it out to be and now that fight is reaching
into the real world. It is up to Finn and the others to tip the scales back to
the side of good and save the park from being overrun by evil.
Review:
I first read this book when it was originally released in
2005 (When it was just called The Kingdom
Keepers) and then I had to wait 3 years for the next one to finally come
out. I am not certain if they had just planned to leave it as a standalone or
if other factors waylaid the continuation of the series. I think it was the
change in cover when they went to paperback that also saw the change in title;
adding the subtitle Disney After Dark
and this change allowed them to turn the original title into the series title. I
was lucky enough to hear Pearson talk about the series at the D23 Expo back in
2011. It was interesting to hear him talk about the research that goes into the
books (how he has pretty much unlimited access to the parks) but also the ways
in which his hands are tied. Disney is very strict in how their brand is
displayed and I am sure their rules often keep the series from going in certain
directions. Makes me wonder how free Pearson is to really take the story line
where he wants it.
As many a review before has stated this is a great concept
but it could have been done better. The biggest complaint for me is the
portrayal of the adults. Once again we have adults who will use fall for any
excuse and appear to be more than okay with sending these young characters off
to dangerous situations that the adults are unable to handle. I know, I know,
this is done to give those young characters the chance to save the day, but,
again, it could be done better. I can see why they do this with the parents
(tweens already view them as slightly clueless right?) but I had the most
trouble when Wayne would do this. He is supposed to be the ‘mastermind’ behind
getting the kids in there and the leader of this fight to save the parks. But
the scenes with him always involved him talking in riddles; half the time he
demanded quick resolutions but would end the conversation by saying, “You
figure it out” when the kids asked for clarification. Plus he had been involved
in this since Walt Disney was still alive and had not been able to figure out a
riddle it took the kids a few days to solve? Then there was no explanation on
how that information would help tip the scales, the book just ended with them
stealing the information from their adversaries.
The main characters are all supposed to be around thirteen I
think Finn is closer to the fourteen mark. But, their interactions did not
easily come off as real-life tweens at those ages; the part that really made
this point for me was when Willa showed up in a long nightgown and told the
others her mom had put her to bed. I cannot think of many 13-year-olds that
allow their mothers to put them to bed let alone pick out their clothes. The
characters felt younger to me, and I think that along with the premise of the
story does leave this open to those younger readers more so than older readers.
Of course these aspects do give those slighter older readers the chance to
relive similar moments they may have experienced and like any series, readers
can grow with the characters.
There are now 5 books in the series, and from what I have
read and heard it will stop at 7. Then for readers who like that inclusion of
Disney-style fables Pearson co-wrote the Peter and the Star Catcher series.
I definitely prefer the original cover to these new ones. The one on the right is the new cover art they are using for all the books.



No comments:
Post a Comment