Funke, C. (2002). The
thief lord. (O. Latsch, Trans.). Scholastic. (Original work published
2002). 249 pages. ISBN 0439404371
Primary genre:
Realistic fiction
Other elements:
fantasy, family, friendship, coming of age, loss, survival
Intended reader age:
8 and up
Synopsis:
After losing their mother and facing the prospect of separation
by their aunt (who only wants Bo) Prosper and Bo decide to strike it out on
their own. Their mother always told them fantastic tales of Venice and that is
where they decide to make their new home. They are not prepared for the
struggle that comes with being on their own and are only saved when the Thief
Lord and his gang take them in and give them a home. Their aunt is not yet
ready to give up on Bo and follows the boys to Venice, employing a detective to
find them at any cost. When fate hands the Thief Lord a chance at riches beyond
his wildest dreams the whole group sees it as their opprotunity to free
themselves from adults’ control.
Review:
I did not realize how much I skipped over (or possibly just
missed) the number of references there were to age through the book the first
time I read it. After reading this and seeing the progression the story took,
it is quite obvious that the main idea Funke presents is the idea of age and
who really has it better, adults or children.
One of many favorite aspects of this story is the timeless
quality of it. When first reading it, there is no indication of what year or
even decade this story is happening in. I think a great deal of that, for me at
least, has to do with the location. Venice is such a historical and ancient
city, that I just think ‘historical’ when I read books set there. Of course,
later there are references to air planes, tourists with cameras, and finally
cell phones. But, for a while I was able to stick with my first thought.
When I was reading this I was reminded of Peter Pan, a group of kids banding
together and making it on their own. In Scipio’s case, though, he made it very
clear that he did not agree with Peter’s mentality of remaining young forever.
Scipio wanted to grow up very much at least to force his father to acknowledge
him as more than just another thing in his to be organized. I feel that this is
a yearning that many tweens and teens have. They have this belief that when
they are older, when they are grown up, their lives will be better. We don’t
just get one view in the book though. Funke also supplies readers with children
who want to stay young and enjoy that time, adults who want to go back to being
children, and adults who enjoy being adults and controlling every little piece
of their lives.
This is not the first Cornelia Funke book I have read, I
feel in love with her work after reading Inkheart.
I just adore the way she has with words, the descriptions she gives to not only
her characters but also the setting. I was also quite amazed when I learned
that her works (as I read them) are translations. Of course, some of that
credit does go to the translator.

No comments:
Post a Comment