Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bud, Not Buddy



Curtis, C. P. (2002). Bud, not Buddy. Yearling. 256 pages. 9780440413288
Primary genre: historical fiction
Other elements: family, loss, adventure
Intended reader age: 8 and up
Synopsis:
Bud has been with the Home for 4 years now, ever since his mother passed away when he just 6-years-old. The increasing number of children and experience with his most recent foster home has left him with no choice but to search out the man he believes to be his father. The only information Bud has, are the flyers his mother collected about a band in Grand Rapids, MI. Bud is determined to track this man down and sets out to do just that.
Review:
I always enjoy when authors create insightful characters, especially when it comes to children’s books. Bud is an especially insightful 10-year-old. I recently read The Egypt Game and in many ways, Bud reminded me April. They both have this philosophy they have created that guides them on how to act and treat adults because they know that there are times when adults don’t really pay attention to children. I can’t recall having that understanding of people at their ages, but maybe it is just something I have forgotten.
I found ‘Bud Caldwell’s Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself” to be interesting additions to the story. When I read the first one I at first thought he would have a handful, no more than 10. But then the next one jumped to 118 and the one after that was in the 300’s. Then there was the time where he forgot what number one of the rules was. I really feel this element added to and authenticated the age of the character, you never know if actually has over 300 rules or if he just assigned random numbers depending on his mood. He is only 10 but has already suffered the loss of his mother and the placement of 3 foster homes added to that is the time period he is growing up in, the Depression, and it is no wonder that at times he reads older than he actually is. That was why I found it nice when there were those moments where it was pointed out that he is young and in situations that are beyond him. 



     
These two covers give more information about the story and what to expect when it comes to Bud's search. But, the Bud on the left looks much older than the 10-years he is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment