Schmidt, G. D. (2007). The
Wednesday wars. Scholastic Inc. 266 pages. ISBN 9780545178136
Primary genre:
historical fiction
Other elements:
family, friendship, coming of age, politics, religion, sports, humor
Intended reader age:
10 and up
Synopsis:
Holling Hoodhood begins seventh grade in 1967 certain that
his English teacher, Mrs. Baker, hates him and is out to do him in. While the
entire class spends Wednesday afternoons either in Jewish or Catholic religious
instruction, Holling spends his with his dreaded English teacher. The struggles
that Holling encounters in school are not the only ones plaguing him though.
America is at war with Vietnam and as the advantage turns against the
American’s Hollings life sees changes that he was not prepared for.
Review:
I did wonder where the author was going with the whole ‘my
teacher hates me’ thought that Holling had at the beginning of the book.
Schmidt did a great job of conveying that certainty that Holling had when it
came to these thoughts. I know I found myself questioning the teacher’s actions
at times. The ways that her little smiles and looks were written lent a great
amount to making me question this. It would be understandable that she would be
upset at the beginning. I’m sure she was thinking about the amount of work she
was able to catch up, and lessons she was able to prepare the previous years.
But, this year she has the one student who does not leave on Wednesday
afternoons like all the other kids do.
There was a great amount of information that Schmidt put
into this story. Not just Holling’s interactions at school but the culture at
the time and the issues that the country was facing. The friction that families
and citizens encountered because of differences in beliefs and cultures was
especially prevalent in the story. The Vietnam War was described enough in the
story that readers get an understanding of the problems that arose because of
how the situation was handled. Readers see the differences in political
thoughts through the interactions between Holling’s sister and his father. It
is also through the sister that readers get an understanding of young adult
mentalities at the time. I found it really interesting that we do not learn the
sister’s name until almost three-fourths of the way through the book. It wasn’t
until she left that Holling realized the relationship that he has with her. He
did not humanize her and make her important until he gave readers her name.
Gary D. Schmidt has written a great number of
books. I have seen Okay for Now a
number of times at the bookstore and would like to read it one day. But, I am
glad that I read this one first. 

No comments:
Post a Comment