Snyder, Z. K. (1986). The
Egypt game. (Raible, A. illus.). A Dell Yearling Book. (Original work
published 1967). 215 pages. ISBN 0440422256
Primary genre:
realistic fiction
Other elements:
fantasy, friendship, family, suspense
Intended reader age:
8 and up
Synopsis:
The Egypt Game began when April and Melanie (and Melanie’s
four-year-old brother Marshall) learn that they both have a great love for all
things Egyptian. The discovery of neglected yard behind the A-Z Antiques Curio
Shop, along with a Nefertiti bust, supply the girls with the perfect location
to expand the game. The inclusion of three new members has the girls concerned that
the game might change but they soon learn that everyone has something new and
fun to offer. Soon however, strange things start to occur and the players in
the Egypt Game begin to question if it is possible that their game of pretend
is not so fake after all.
Review:
I was one of those kids that absolutely loved this book when
I when I first read it. I was definitely interested in all things Egyptian just
as the main characters were. It was never to the extent that they were, but I
was able to live through their experiences in the book. Reading this again, it
was the illustrations that really stood out to me as something that I recalled
from reading it when I was younger. I didn’t even recall the main ‘drama’ that
slightly guides and impacts the story line.
The one thing that I go back and forth between is the
ability for our current generation of readers to relate to the main characters.
In this instance I am referring to readers the same age as the main characters.
These are kids in the 6th grade, which in most cases now means
middle school, and they are engaging in a game of pretend. Even in the book it
is discussed how their peers can view this as a child-like activity; making it
one that they need to keep to themselves because others are likely to make fun
of them. It is open to younger readers, not only because one of the characters
is a fourth grader, but because the characters admit that what they are doing
is something younger kids would do. I did like in the story that when the two
boys found out, they decided to join. There was some reluctance from one of
them, but for the most part they both came in willing to enjoy the experience
of being young and playing pretend.
Snyder did continue the characters’ story in
another novel, The Gypsy Game, which
follows their adventures in a whole new game about (you guessed it) gypsies.
The silhouette style is how all of Snyder's books are published now.




No comments:
Post a Comment